Thursday, July 2, 2009

Poland, Continued

I'm in Krakow now. . . When I brought up my blog webpage in Warsaw, the instructions were in Polish, which stymied me. . . but I wrote some things offline that I'll now share in small pieces. . .

So what follows will first spend some time in Warsaw. . .

Jack

Flying to Warsaw, I was reading two different stories that relate to the experience I’m about to have.

One is a book called Mosaic which has the story of 5 generations of a Krakow family. At this point, I’m only up to World War I, but we know more or less where this story goes. I was also reading material sent to me by my hevruta study partner – Rabbi Alicia Magal. She is writing a book about her mother’s experience as a teenager who survived the Holocaust – though the rest of her family perished – a story also centered in Krakow. And as I’m reading these things, I am flying and traveling right back into the nexus of where this all happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment